tablet connectivity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all
I need to get a cheap table for use on site.
Wi-Fi won't always be available,so I'm told I need one with that's 3g enabled via a sim card.
these do seem to be a good bit more expensive though,so my question is this.
if I use an internet dongle in a usb port,do I still need the tablet to be 3g enabled ?
also are there any advantages/disadvantages to this method ?
cheers.
p.s. I will get the hang of technology one day.i promise !!

Sponsored Links
I used a usb dongle on a laptop a few years ago and it worked ok so I don't see why it wouldn't work, athough I've not tried it on a tablet. Also the dongle I had was a regular usb size (not mini usb) so beware of potential size compatability issues. Wait on others with more knowledge on this tho.

How about using a smart phone instead? The contracts aren't too expensive these days and most include some internet allowance. The screen might be small tho, depending on what phone you've got (or would choose).

Or you can use the internet from a smart phone on a tablet/laptop. You set up a personal hotspot on the phone and the tablet/laptop picks up the internet connection either via wifi or bluetooth. Easy to do and works a treat. I don't think this is possible with an old style internet-ready phone tho - you need a smart phone.

The USB Dongle wont work - because that's not what it is designed for, and what drivers would you install? The USB port on a tablet is like what you'd find in any accessory, (and that's why it's Mini USB). A printer, a scanner, a coffee cup warmer, a charger, Playstation controller etc... it's on the "slave" side of the connection. The full sized "A-type" USB connector on your PC/Laptop/Playstation is the "host" side that does all the work and needs the software to run it.

It's synonymous with trying to plug a scanner into a printer - it just doesn't work in software land, hardware land or make any sense to do so. (Though granted, it does make sense to want to try to plug a 3G dongle into a phone)

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Do you have a 3g phone? I use mine to provide wifi access point for tablet when out and about.

Back