taking chimney out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im looking to take the ground floor part of a chimney out and leave thefirst floor part (due to recently fitted wardrobes)

my question is what is the best way to support the chimney, would it be gallow brackets and a 6mm sheet of steel painted with water resistant paint?

some idiot mentioned to me to rest it on the joist with another joist going across it.

if it is gallow brackets, can anyone recoomend me where i can get these from and how much they cost.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Best is support it on steel beams at first floor or just below first floor level.

Static said:
Best is support it on steel beams at first floor or just below first floor level.

would be a bit hard as the wall span to put the steel deam are 30ft apart

Sponsored Links
Gallows brackets arent ideal. If your serious about removing the breast at ground floor level i would get a structural engineer in to look at it and give options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back