Taking metal to scrap yard...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Anyone know much about taking metals to the Scrap Yard?

I have just replaced my radiators, is it worth taking them to the scrap metal yard? I have also replaced the TRV valves, and found some copper piping underneath the floor. Just not sure what I do about separating it all? The old TRV valves seem to be brass. Someone says just take it in your car and they will weigh the car and take it all out, but the copper piping will weigh next to nothing?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yep and worth next to nothing, few quid maybe. Probably won't pay for your petrol getting there. If they are really old school rads you might get more selling them on.

leave the rad out side your house some one will have em away ?

if they are not gone in a few days "put a £40" for sale sign on em , some one will than pinch em :)

Yes, unless you've got a van load of rads, or they're hospital types, leave them out for the p!keys.

Last Sunday night, I left 3 rads out for them. They were gone by 10am the next morning. That's what I call service. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Definitely worth taking them down to the scrappie but only if it's on the way to something else. You'll be amazed at how much you get for them.

I stopped by a clean scrap "shop" in Watford today and asked about the prices they pay for things.

They said its £100 per ton for steel which is 10p per kilo.

The average rad is perhaps 15 kg so that's about £1.50 but rather more for big rads.

But consider how you are going to get them to their yard!

They also only pay by cheque now.

Well worth taking scrap to a scrap yard IMO. Be aware you will need to take some ID for proof of address and identity, as they can't deal in cash anymore. I took a load of old brass fittings and copper cylinder a few months ago and came out with £67, so well worth the trip. And they paid by bank transfer so I had the money in my account right away.

Happy days :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back