Tap connector sizes explained

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone clarify for me the terminology used for plumbing pipe sizes? It seems to be a mixture of imperial and metric!

I want to buy a flexible tap connector for my bath that connects a 15mm copper pipe to a bath tap tail.
I haven't bought the new taps yet, but I have the impression that all bath taps use a 22mm size tail. And all basin taps have a 15mm tail.

So, what connector size should I go for?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Bath taps generally have a 3/4" threaded tail, and sink/basin taps 1/2".

They usually need fittings to connect to 22mm and 15mm pipes, respectively, though some bath supplies are 15mm too.

the tap connectors are what is nown as BSP (British standard pipe) and the size relates to a nominal bore (inside diameter) normally of brass or steel tube (e.g gas pipe) so a 1/2 BSP thread has a bigger diameter than 1/2"

The compression connector at the other end relates to the outside diameter of the copper or plastic tube you will be connecting to.

For a bath I would expect 22mm to 3/4 BSP although the cold may need a 15mm to 3/4BSP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back