Tap getting stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a mixer kitchen tap. Have had it for quite some time. It constantly gets stuck when you have to move it about. Was told to add WD40.

Is the ‘3 in one oil spray’ recommended or should I purchase Wd40?

Sponsored Links
Are you referring to moving the spout about ?
Show us a pic of the tap

1. Not WD40. Not 3in1. Both likely to damage internal rubber seals.
2. If its the spout which is seized:
2.1 Remove spout. Usually a screw at the back, possible an Allen grub screw. Sometimes a nut at the base of the spout.
2.2 Clean rubber O rings and lubricate with silicone grease.
2.3 Clean housing in base of tap into which spout fits.
2.4 re-assemble and tighten grub screw.
2.5 Some have a split white plastic (nylon?) ring. If present, arrange so that grub screw goes into split.

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• BBC08FB6-B715-49C1-957F-2703BD8E123D.jpeg
    BBC08FB6-B715-49C1-957F-2703BD8E123D.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 46
Unfortunately oldbuffers advice doesn't quite apply to your tap.
You would need to disassemble the tap fully.
My advice would be to fit a new tap ,probably easier than stripping yours,and as you seem to have had it for some time may be good time to renew.

Would I also need to purchase these attachments? I am assuming not because I can just use the ones I already have

Attachments

• 8D4400DA-D4A8-491D-B153-F27D3F55243D.png
    8D4400DA-D4A8-491D-B153-F27D3F55243D.png
    332.6 KB · Views: 27
If you already have isolation valves on hot and cold supplies there's no point buying more unless the existing ones are in some way faulty.

If you already have isolation valves on hot and cold supplies there's no point buying more unless the existing ones are in some way faulty.
Ok cool. They won’t be faulty. Its the tap that is the main issue. The skin has peeled away and gets stuck, doesn’t move smoothly. I have had the tap for like 6 years.

They won’t be faulty.
They might go faulty when you operate them! They're known for it.

If they start weeping at the slotted screw when you use them, you can stop it sometimes, but it requires a bit of a knack!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back