Tap washer - can't get to washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

i am trying to re-washer a bathroom tap (mixer) and have removed the cap and screw and lifted the tap head/handle off. I am trying to undo the headgear part (tap assembly/brass colour) but it won't budge.

Is this normal? Why is this not budging?

If there is anything I can do to help it unscrew from the body of the tap so I can get to the washer please help!!

Thank you for reading my post.

Sponsored Links
Just a bigger spanner, James - your biggest problem is going to be stopping the tap itself from turning.
John :)

I have tried a stillson even and still no joy.

I even tried using grease aroudn where the brass valve sits in the tap body, still no joy!!!

Any other tips?

Hello

i am trying to re-washer a bathroom tap (mixer) and have removed the cap and screw and lifted the tap head/handle off. I am trying to undo the headgear part (tap assembly/brass colour) but it won't budge.

Is this normal? Why is this not budging?

If there is anything I can do to help it unscrew from the body of the tap so I can get to the washer please help!!

Thank you for reading my post.

Its a commen problem unfortunately. I've had this nightmare a couple of times and unfortunately ive had to change the entire tap as the spindle mechnisn just would not budge.

Try a big spanner, try a bit of WD-40, but if what you tried already hasnt worked, then i doubt this will either. I've heard pouring boiling water over might work, but its a long shop.

Aside from that my friend, its looking like you either put up with a drip or change the tap. If your on a meter, then new tap.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for your help

Also one other point, I was trying to change a bath tap (single type tap) (it was also dripping, this has been like this since late last year).

I lifted the cover but when removing the screw holding the cap to the tap body half the screw snapped, so the other half is jammed in and I cannot even access the tap headgear. Is there anything I could do here to remove the other part of the screw? Or new tap again here?

Hello guys & gals, sounds like you need the new Easy tapsplitter, this will get most stuck / jammed headgear off, without spinning the Tap.
Designed for single taps ( the ones that spin ) comes as complete kit,and you can get this tool online. Good Luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back