Tap won't budge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to get into the guts of my 1/4 turn lever hot kitchen tap. I drained the hot water and got the cap and screw off and took off the lever arm. Then I successfully removed the circlip but the nut holding everything else in just won't budge. I've had a socket on it but no matter how hard I turn it doesn't move.
Am I missing something?
Is it safe to use WD40 or similar on this brass nut and thread, or will that get into my water?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Don't think you needed to remove the circlip but you should be able to undo the tap valve with a spanner. They can be very tight and require some force be careful not to disturb the pipework below as this can cause a leak.

yes it's tight alright! The biggest issue is holding the tap from turning while trying to undo the nut

Nice to know I am on the right lines though
Thanks

concentrate at the gym in building your upper body strength for a month or two. Try again it will be easy. See not only plumbing advice here but body training advice as well :)

Sponsored Links
I use apiece of tough rubber about 3 inches square and an old type basin wrench to hold the spout with out damage, but it still need a bit of effort sometimes to undo the tap tops

Cheap option worked a treat, thanks! Now it turns out that even with the innards out, the flow is still really low. All other hot taps are fine in the house and this one is on the ground floor.

The only thing I can think of is something nasty in the isolating valve just below this tap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back