Tax relief on van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm thinking about buying a van for use in my business.

I've heard that I can get tax relief on it, 50% in the first year, and 25% on the remainder in the second year.

So for instance I got a van for £5000 on hire purchase, would this mean I got £2500 deducted from my taxable profit in the first year and so on?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's true that you get tax relief on capital expenditure for your business; but I am not sure that you would get the same allowances for a vehicle bought on HP as one bought outright. You need to ask your Tax Office.

If it goes on the company balance sheet - if bought via cash, HP, lease purchase and possibly other means of funding - then it's an asset which gets written down, on a straightline basis. VAT - if registered - is recoverable and finance costs are a business expense.

Sponsored Links
The way it was explained to me was you get an allowance of 60% in first 2 years .
40% first year 20% second. But it is the tax you woud pay on that amount not the actuall amount
So 40% of 5k is £2000, tax on that at 20% would be £400 so in first year that is what you save.
But it was a few years ago she explained it and that was for an outright buy. On HP i think you also get an allowance on the interest paid.
But i maybe wrong as said best get it from the horses mouth

Everyone understanding of this seems a bit woolly so:

you buy the van, you can reclaim the VAT (if VAT registered). The HP interest is an allowable expense. This is apportioned by taking the total interest payable and spreading it over the life of the hp so more interest is attributed to the first year where the principal loan sum is higher.

Whilst the van goes on the balance sheet and is depreciated (which is what you'll see in the accounts) the depreciation is not actually an allowable expense. Instead you get "capital allowances" which is what people are hinting at.

Works like this:

buy van for £5000

At the end of the first year you get a "first year allowance" which is currently 50% (this varies between 40-50%).

Every other year the balance is written down on a reducing balance basis at 25% until it disappears

Year 1: 50% first year allowance = £2500
Year 2: £2500 (remaining balance) x 25% = £625
Year 3: £1875 (remaining balance) x 25% = £468.75
Year 4: £1406 (remaining balance) x 25% = £351.50

And the above goes on and on until the balance is zero, or you sell the van

When you sell the van the the sales proceeds are compared to the remaining balance. Where too much capital allowances have been given, you have to pay a "balancing charge" which actually gets added on to your income! Too little and you get a "balancing allowance" which is an additional deduction.

Basically you always get deducted from your taxable income the amount the van falls in value whilst you own it.

Carefull about cars, they are treated a bit differently (no first year allowance and the yearly writedown is resricted to £3000)

Also best to get the van right at the end of your tax year, you can own it for only one day and still get 50% of it's value written off your income.

Hope this helps, a bit difficult to explain on a message board!

And it has changed again for this year 08/09

You can now write of capital expenture up to £50000 each year. this excludes vehicles over £12000.

So you would be able to write off the whole 5000 in this financial year.

And it has changed again for this year 08/09

You can now write of capital expenture up to £50000 each year. this excludes vehicles over £12000.

So you would be able to write off the whole 5000 in this financial year.

Does the 12k include VAT and does it only apply to new as opposed to used vans?

Sponsored Links
Back