telephone "ring tripping"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently this is the term used when someone phones you and although they hear the ringing, your phone doesn't ring.

I have this problem intermittently.

I have fiber broadband and phones with Talktalk.

VDSL modem is connected to the master.

x3 two wire phones on extension cables from the master (all cables installed by me with proper phone cable).

I have BT, Binatone and ASDA brand corded telephones.

Anyone any idea how I may resolve the ring tripping ?

Sponsored Links
Apparently this is the term used when someone phones you and although they hear the ringing, your phone doesn't ring.
Ring trip is when the equipment at the exchange sees that you've answered an incoming call - Or a fault on the line somewhere makes the equipment think that you've done so. But when the latter happens, the caller will cease to hear ringback tone, and it will just go quiet. At your end, you may hear just a very short ring or no ring at all.

So when somebody calls you, what does he actually hear - Just non-stop ringing, or a burst or two of ringing and then silence?

When someone phones, they here the ringing tone but my phones don't ring but the led does flash to indicate an incoming call.

foa DS -
I presume you're not a Talktalk fan ?
I must admit they're always a hassle and I may look to other ISPs when my present contract expires in May.

Sponsored Links
When someone phones, they here the ringing tone but my phones don't ring but the led does flash to indicate an incoming call..
Not a ring-trip problem then.

Have you tried disconnecting all but one phone to see if that one rings all right?

(If you don't have a cellphone with you or somebody ready to call you, dial 17070 and use the ringback option - When you hang up your phone will ring as for an incoming call.)

What type of master socket do you have? Have you got a master socket with a filter built in or do you have individual filters for each phone?

Remove all phones and extensions and plug a corded phone into the master socket if you still have an issue try a different phone. Then if still an issue call out your provider

Here's the BT master I have with the black lan cable plugged from the VDSL modem into the ethernet port of my wifi router -

2n16mxh.jpg

I'll do as suggested and plug each phone, in turn, into the master.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back