Terminal blocks, channels and other questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving our kitchen into another room so have a lot of new wiring to do. By searching the forum here I think I've answered most of my questions - but any corrections gratefully received. The ring main extension will be channelled into the wall bit I plan to run the lighting cable on the surface except where it travels up above the worktop level.

Three points I'm not clear on:

1. Is it ok to have just a terminal block to connect old and new cables in what is now a junction box, or is something more robust required?

2. Is it ok to use a single wide channel for ring main and lighting to share? If so, do I run the lighting cables through the socket boxes or should they go behind?

3. What is a neat way to bring the lighting cables to the surface?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob

KitchenElectricsQuery1.jpg

Sponsored Links
InvictusBob said:
I'm moving our kitchen into another room so have a lot of new wiring to do. By searching the forum here I think I've answered most of my questions - but any corrections gratefully received. The ring main extension will be channelled into the wall bit I plan to run the lighting cable on the surface except where it travels up above the worktop level.

1. Is it ok to have just a terminal block to connect old and new cables in what is now a junction box, or is something more robust required?

2. Is it ok to use a single wide channel for ring main and lighting to share? If so, do I run the lighting cables through the socket boxes or should they go behind?

Bob

1: i would recommend it is crimped, altho if it is accessable, there is nothin to stop you using a JB or terminal block

2: run seperate would be better but you can run them together

3: use a blanking plate with a hole in the bottom. bring cable out here.

NOTES ON DRAWING:

the cables in the crawing are NOT in permitted areas, therefore would have to be 50mm deep or in earthed conduit.

also, are you aware that under Part P of the building regs, you are not allowed to do work in a kitchen unless it is inspected by building control

andrew2022 said:
InvictusBob said:

Bob

1: i would recommend it is crimped, altho if it is accessable, there is nothin to stop you using a JB or terminal block

2: run seperate would be better but you can run them together

3: use a blanking plate with a hole in the bottom. bring cable out here.

NOTES ON DRAWING:

the cables in the crawing are NOT in permitted areas, therefore would have to be 50mm deep or in earthed conduit.

also, are you aware that under Part P of the building regs, you are not allowed to do work in a kitchen unless it is inspected by building control

I thought the ring main cables are in permitted areas ? going horizontal and verticle from the sockets ?? just the blue wires for the under cuboard lights are a bit iffy as far as permitted areas are concerned ?

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
They look OK to me - which ones are you worried about, and why?

So do all the work before making it a kitchen.... :evil:

brumtrician said:
I thought the ring main cables are in permitted areas ? going horizontal and verticle from the sockets ?? just the blue wires for the under cuboard lights are a bit iffy as far as permitted areas are concerned ?
The blue ones look fine - they'll be emerging from flex outlet plates, so will be OK as they'll be running vertically to an accessory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back