Terraced House Roof/ Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning.
I am after some advice please.
I live in a mid terraced house. Yesterday I noticed the attached on mine and neighbours adjoining roof. The lead flashing has been damaged in the recent storm. The neighbours aren’t exactly neighbourly or in the least bit friendly.
My house is to the left and the raised element is my neighbours house to the right.
It needs repairing before more bad weather is upon us.

Please can anyone confirm whether it is my responsibility to do these repairs? The last thing I want to do is arrange repair and inflame the situation with the neighbour!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
It is on the neighbours wall visually but the dividing wall is known as a Party Wall with both houses having rights to it. If you leave it then both houses will get water in so you could quite reasonably ask the neighbour to share the cost of the repair but if they refuse you may have to swallow the cost as your wall will suffer the most due to the location of the repair.

the dividing wall is known as a Party Wall with both houses having rights to it.
Unless there are specific ownership clauses in the property deeds (very, very rare), the common arrangement with the section of wall above the roof is that it is not a party wall and not the responsibility of the OP.
ie the render, the wall the fascia belongs to the neighbour. The OP owns the flashing and has rights to fit it to the neighbours wall.

The OP owns half the chimney stack though, due to the flue.

Sponsored Links
Unless there are specific ownership clauses in the property deeds (very, very rare), the common arrangement with the section of wall above the roof is that it is not a party wall and not the responsibility of the OP.
ie the render, the wall the fascia belongs to the neighbour. The OP owns the flashing and has rights to fit it to the neighbours wall.

The OP owns half the chimney stack though, due to the flue.
Given the fact that the neighbour is unlikely to play ball my advice still stands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back