Testing a cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been lurking for a while and decided it was time I signed up.

I have just bought the property I am in and am doing some light renovation work, the house is stuck back in the 70's a bit. :LOL:

I had the CU replaced last week, and have done some tidying up of wiring, removing some spurs that are not in use anymore.

The attic is where I am having the problems at the moment, the whole house looks to have been rewired at some point, with the exception of some of the drop cables that are rubber coated (that will be replaced, however they dont seem brittle, odd)

Anyhow my problem! I lifted some insulation looking for another cable to find a black covered cable with a woven insulator covering the wires, looks dead, but am I able to test it with a multimeter to confirm, it dissapears into the brickwork down a wall, I am fairly sure its the old wiring the socket, however the sockets now takes its feed from a new ring below the floorboards

Sponsored Links
Assuming there is more than one core then your multi-meter will be fine for checking for voltage

you can try your local elec wholesalers and buy a volt stick to rub over the cable

Thanks, shall give it a go later, I would hope if someone disconnected the cable it would be dead, not risking it though.

Sponsored Links
Didn't the guy who replaced your CU comment on all this ancient cable?

Nope, all the cables at the CU are modern PVC so he would have no reason to suspect or comment.

I've opened up I would say around 75% of the switches and sockets, all contain PVC T&E cable.

I know I have about 6 runs of VIR cable powering wall lamps, I guess whover did the rewire however long ago, couldn't be bothered to replace these. Not sure when it was rewired, but generally its to a good standard (no bare earths, back boxes earthed, it all looks neat anyhow)

I did a bit of further investigation last night and uncovered a whole load more cables under the insulation in the loft, some rubber and a couple of lead covered ones, I would imagine whoever rewired just disconnected and left them in situ.

I did find an interesting bodge while doing this exploring, the bathroom was replaced just before we purchased, someone had taken a cable from the upstairs lighting circuit and run it directly to light (so it would have been on all the time) instead of opting for a junction box they just exposed the wire at the point where the pull cord in the roof is, cut the live and connected each end into the switch.

Maybe I am expecting too much from an old house but i am a bit of a perv when it comes to cables etc, comes from installing and maintaining large scale comms. networks I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back