tevion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got 75% strength but nothing on quality i have checked the coax connections and even changed the scart cable but still nothing. i am assuming that i have the sat pointing correctly as the strength is quite good cant understand what the prob is
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
sam,
yes i do mean dish, i know that it should be pointing south and a little east according to what i have read elsewhere, where i am confused is i thought the strength referred to the strength of the satellite signal and quality referred to the connection between the sat box and the tv, is this correct? if so, i cannot understand why i am not getting a picture of some sort as the strength is 70%....i have checked connections on the coax cable and all are ok i think so would have thought i would get something
thanks
Bill

You didn't answer any of my questions apart from the first.
You have to know which satellite you are aiming for.
The dish must be aligned within ONE degree accuracy before you'll see any signal at all on the meter.

If you aren't using a signal meter you could struggle for weeks to locate the correct satellite.

Sponsored Links
the satellite is the astra i think its 28.2e and , as i said before i have a signal strength of 70% .....if this doesnt mean i am pointing at the satellite then what does it mean?
i do not have a meter, but i have tuned this in before a few times without one just seem to be having problems this time for some reaason.
i have been onto dishpointer, thats how i knew to aim the dish south and slightly east.
not sure about the 1 degree accuracy most people i have spoken to ahve said i should get some sort of picture when pointed roughly in the right direction and then fine tune....ie move the dish about a bit to improve the picture,
thats why i thought i would be able to see something when i havbe such high signal strenth showing
thanks
Bill

the satellite is the astra i think its 28.2e
That's the Astra-2 cluster

and , as i said before i have a signal strength of 70% .....if this doesnt mean i am pointing at the satellite then what does it mean?
It means you are picking up a random signal from somewhere.

i do not have a meter, but i have tuned this in before a few times without one just seem to be having problems this time for some reaason.
i have been onto dishpointer, thats how i knew to aim the dish south and slightly east.
not sure about the 1 degree accuracy most people i have spoken to ahve said i should get some sort of picture when pointed roughly in the right direction and then fine tune....ie move the dish about a bit to improve the picture,

I am an expert and approximately 1 degree is the limit. The geostationary satellites are spaced roughly 3 degrees apart so waving your dish around aimlessly will most likely find A signal but not necessarily the one you want.

With digital TV you don't get "some sort of picture". You either get a picture or nothing.

thats why i thought i would be able to see something when i havbe such high signal strenth showing
Try pointing the dish at the kitchen when the microwave oven is on. You'll get a strong signal but no picture. Try pointing at Astra-1 (19.2°E). You'll get a strong signal but no picture from a Sky box.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/satposition.htm

Conclusion: your dish is not aligned on Astra-2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back