The correct cable for making longer lamp pendants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to replace a few lamp pendants round my granny's house, but new ones only seem to come with 6" cables on them.

I would like them to be longer (about 18" to be precise, because of her high ceilings).

Is this cable suitable for making longer ones?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p59619

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Call me old-fashioned, but I used to use 2 core 0.75 HR.
Hi,

I really like the idea of buying heat resistant flex, as my granny loves her old-fashioned 100w bulbs (she still has a stock pile of them:)). Some of the flex on the current pendants is brittle and it wouldn't suprise me if heat from the bulbs is causing that (as well as years of sunlight, I suppose).

By the way. The ceiling roses and the twin and earth are all in great shape, it's just the flex cables on the drops that's a bit dodgy.

Do you know where I could buy 2 core heat resistant 0.75mm² flex on the high street? I would only need about 3 metres of it.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of buying heat resistant flex, as my granny loves her old-fashioned 100w bulbs (she still has a stock pile of them:)). Some of the flex on the current pendants is brittle and it wouldn't suprise me if heat from the bulbs is causing that (as well as years of sunlight, I suppose).
But does she like paying the bill to run them when 15W LEDs would give as much light (1500 lumens) at 15% of the running cost - and 15% of the heating?

I also have a stockpile of the old 60w halogen bulbs. I know they are hugely inefficient compared to LEDs, but the cost of getting them (30p a bulb) and the fact they switch on at full luminosity instantly outweighs the few quid it saves a year.

LED is the way forward in the long run though, when the stockpile runs out....

You new-fashioned person, you.

Davey - I always used to use HR. The price difference at the time was negligible and it meant (along with the GET metal-ringed lampholders I used) I didn't get call-out after call-out to sort singed holders/ flexes.

Admittedly, you can get pendant sets cheap these days. But the cheap holders and flexes of today are rubbish.

They seem dearer today, but before I got call-out conscious, I used to get the same pendant that MK bought in and rebranded as theirs for 69p each (10+) plus the dreaded.

Last edited:
B&Q or any of the other big DIY stores would likely sell the cable you are looking for.
Also try Wilkinsons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back