The house next door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello just wanting some advice really, next door to us has been empty for over a year now, a builder has bought it and put it on the market. The problem is it needs a lot of work doing on it and its just being left to get worse and worse.
The gutters are bad which means its getting really damp. We paid to have our gutters cleaned and they attempted to clean theirs aswell but the roof tiles have slipped and covered most of the front guttering. This is causing water damage in the front bedroom which is now coming through causing mould in our daughters room. I keep cleaning it with bleach but it just keeps coming back through. She had chronic asthma as a child and i don't think sleeping in a mouldy room will help.
We want to decorate but can't see the point if its just going to be ruined. The huge smell pipe on the back of the house fell of a couple of weeks back too. We have contacted the estate agent numouous times to tell the owner but nothing seems to be done. What are our options do you know who we can report this to.

We live in a mid terraced house,

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
its a very difficult situation unfortunately, try environmental health at your local council.

What are our options do you know who we can report this to.
I would've thought it's the builders responsibility as the property belong to them, doesn't matter if they're selling it or not. Get free advice from your local CAB as they will help you what letter to send to them, might be best to have a friendly words with the builders first, estate agent are a waste of time

Sponsored Links
Hello, thanks for your replies. I have tried the Estate agent but they won't give me the builders number because of confidentiality.

Any other ideas please? :eek:

Got to agree with Woody here; it’s only a gutter outside his property. If he won't listen to you & repair it, go do whatever you need to HIS gutter to make it HIS problem; whilst nobody else is looking of course ;)

Cheers guys, believe me I am at that stage now but need to explore the other options 1st, the guttering is only one of the issues, the roof has tiles that have slipped and the bedroom next to ours is what is creating a lot of the damp on the walls.

I have already paid to have the gutters cleaned out but it's beyond that now.

I have tried getting up ladders to do my own gutters in the past and Sh1t myself so I can't do that... :rolleyes:

I have written to letting agents (yourmove), enclosing a letter and prepaid envelope for the landlord of my neighbours before. The letter eventually got to the landlord and I got a reply.

Put your concerns in writing. This way they dont have to give you the guy's address or number.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back