The SKY Man

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite DIY, but great example of shoddy workmanship.

Couple of years ago we moved house and one of the first things we did was have SKY installed. I took the afternoon off work and the SKY man arrived (late obviously) to put up the dish and connect it all. I left him to it and went outside to cut the grass. Half an hour later he was done. In hindsight he seemed in a bit of hurry to leave after showing me how to use my SKY box. He went outside and packed his van in a hurry and was gone, without even bothering to put my telly back in the corner of the room.....or tidy the cables up, or pick up the little off-cuts from the phone connection, or bother to actually secure that cable to the skirting board where it passed behind furniture, or clear up the brick dust from the hole he'd drilled....he also omitted to mention that when drilling said hole he'd penetrated the gas pipe which runs around the outside of the house!

It turns out, in his haste to leave, he'd also broken a chair in our dinning room, put the satellite dish up wonky (so the signal was poor), run the cable round the outside of the house at a strange angle and used so much silicon sealant that I could have done a tidier job with a catapult from halfway down the street.

Luckily, and unknown to him, the gas pipe had been disconnected years before when the meter was changed, so nothing leaked, but that might not have been the case.

Needless to say, we did complain to SKY in quite strong terms, and eventually they sorted most of the problems out.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear. I used to know a cable installer and he told me that they were always in a rush. They had like 10 jobs to do in a day so would not stop for anything not even cups of tea!

When my manager had sky installed he had to leave the guy to it. He came home to find the cable slung over the roof from back to front and the cable routed through the letter box.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I used to install sky digital and yes there are a lot of hit and run merchants out there, I could not make money out of the job because I was one of a few which done the install correctly. I am not protecting these guys when I say this, but for the pittance the installation contractors pay them per install the only way to make any money from it is to be the way they are. The blame should really be firstly put on the SKY and the employer and secondly be put on the guys doing the install for not having any pride in what the do or have respect for the customers property. I have seen some real horror stories from work I was asked to go and rectify. When Sky were offering people a full install for £10 years ago a lot of people signed up for this, SKY did no surveying questions on where people lived or even if they could see the southern sky from there properties , they just took the cash and slowly paid back people who could not receive the service, so when installers were given calls for the day they would not know that they could not install until they had arrived at the customers property, then it was up to them to explain SKY's money grabbing policy. So for each of the calls the installer could not do for this reason, this took part of his days wages even though he had maybe driven miles to get there because he was only paid for each successful installation. Some days I had gone out with 8 calls and only able to complete half, some for the above reason and some because the customer had forgotten and gone out. I had to drive each day from the south coast up to Surrey to do my calls so there was an hours drive before I even got paid. If anyone out there is thinking of becoming one of these installers, think twice about it, and if you dont think about it you may become one of these cowboy's.

only problem with my sky install was he managed to blow the outside brick and tried to fill it with silicon without telling me.

I had the same problem with my last house, shoddy rushed workmanship. Really I should have expected it - the installation fee was quite cheap and i guess sky dont care as long as youre hooked up to their service and paying the subscription.

In future i will be paying an independant installer to do it - or doing it myself.

I have also had issues the then NTL service not fixing cables to skirtsand leaving a mess etc. I suppose if they sub contract out then and pay the guys peanuts they have no choice but to rush the job - or not earn enough money to put food on the table.

Blame sky I say, waste of money anyway 10 good channels 500 junk and slowly but surely they move all the good stuff onto pay per view or increased subscription levels so you pay three times -

1. license fee
2. subscription
3. pay per view.

At least with the bbc they actually produce some good content sky just seem to scrape shows from other networks and repeat them until your sick of it.

I guess it depends on the type of shows you want.

For example I really like a lot of stuff that discovery make and some of discoveries best programs (e.g. mythbusters) simply never made it to the free channels.

If you want the discovery channels you have only two decent choices IMO. sky and virgin (and a lot of people can't get virgin). Top-up tv only have one of the discovery channels and only for some small fraction of it's hours. Tiscali TV requires you to either get a second phone line or take tiscali's really terrible broadband

Also the BBC have an annoying schedule. They don't line things up on clean boundries so you can watch one program on one channel and then another program on a different channel easilly.

Get rid of all of them and enjoy life, if you need to watch a good film of your choice get the DVD or go to the cinema, or do you really want to spend the majority of you lives just flicking through half started programs to maybe find something you have not seen before ?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back