Theoretical Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have oil heating with the boiler located in the garage.

Q.1 If boiler fails? Will circulating pump water flow prevent water freezing in the boiler.

I will have LPG fires and Immersion Heater on in the house.

Q.2 Will circulating water passing through the copper tank coil be slightly warmed by the coil working in reverse given the 3 Port valve is in mid postion?

Thanks

PS. Just had to pay £730 for tank top up of 1000L. Normally a fill up at this time would cost about £460.

Better to pay out the xtra and be sure of not having a oil delivery problem in the New Year!

Sponsored Links
Yes to both questions - probably. Best to keep the boiler working if you can.

If your tank was full in August then how long would it last for?

Tony

Thanks for the replys.

Ref the tank filling.

August is a difficult month to pick! I 'll explain;

The tank capacity is about 1200L. I would fill it normally at 200L point with 800L around mid Oct time. In a normal winter that would last until end Feb/Mar.

My 2nd fill of around 800L would take me round until the following Nov.

This year, due to early cold snap and Froststat continually cutting in during the night, so I dipped the tank and thought it was going quick!

With Xmas coming and playing safe, I ordered 1000L. My Oil Company said the delivery would be in 3+ weeks. Of course to ensure not to be left out I ordered 1000L incase useage was heavy!

Of course the Oil Co were probably playing sneaky in giving a forward delivery time of 3+ weeks and getting me to pay the high price for oil at Order time!

As I am retired and at home all day, the useage is going to be higher!
Not wishing to be without oil in january if we had lots of snow, thus I ordered!

Sponsored Links
to Q.1: why not add Sentinel X500 inhibitor/antifreeze to your system? I always add it to external boilers in case of a) run out of oil or b) power cut in extreme weather conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back