Thermal store, solid fuel & copper pipe

Thanks for all this everyone. The detail design of the dangerous bit (woodburner to thermal store, panels to thermal store, heat dumps etc) will be handled by others at installation time of that part of the system. Interesting hearing the discussions of the various different ways of emergency dumping excess heat- useful in case someone starts gilding the lily at install time.
The original question (DHW in plastic or copper)- I'll do the bits I'm on at the moment in copper and leave the tricky arsey wiggly connection bit to the HETAS approved installers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all this everyone. The detail design of the dangerous bit (woodburner to thermal store, panels to thermal store, heat dumps etc) will be handled by others at installation time of that part of the system. Interesting hearing the discussions of the various different ways of emergency dumping excess heat- useful in case someone starts gilding the lily at install time.
The original question (DHW in plastic or copper)- I'll do the bits I'm on at the moment in copper and leave the tricky arsey wiggly connection bit to the HETAS approved installers.
Oh! Almost forgot about you.... Since both the DHW and the central heating will be fed through blending valves, then do the bits from the store to the valves in copper, then the rest can be in that horrid plastic stuff.....If you really must

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Woodburners should be fitted by a HETAS installer and notified to Building Control.

He will need to be satisfied that your store and associated connections are acceptable.

You have not mentioned the solar thermal in detail. That should be correctly installed but may not need to be notified to Building Control. It also needs the correct design and controls to prevent overheating the store.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Woodburners should be fitted by a HEATAS installer and notified to Building Control.
I'm guessing you've used capitals to make a point but as a professional
I'm surprised you don't actually know that it's HETAS, unless of course you've invented a new association for solid fuel.

Always pays to be accurate and correct does it not, Telly Tony?

Well spotted, I have edited it to correct.

Its sometimes so easy to spell as we say. So many examples of " I don't no if..."

But as an organization it should always be referred to in capitals to be correct.

Just done a check to see how commonly it is mis-spelt and there are two pages of wrong spelling posts.

The most amusing being :-

have a look at Nabic valves, that said your idea is a bodge, mutiple heat sources should be combined by neutraliser,thermal store,low loss.All of these alter the neutral point.

Obviously your not Heatas registered either for your solid fuel.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back