Thermostatic shower too cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I know this is a common problem, but haven't managed to find a definitive answer so I'd be grateful for any help. We got a new bathroom fitted in September, with a thermostatic shower (picture attached)- the plumber supplied the shower and it has no markings or instructions, so I can't vouch for the make but assume it will have been cheap. At first, the shower was warm enough, although it was never really possible to make it too hot, but since the winter started, it has always been pretty tepid even at the highest possible temperature. We have a new Worcester 38CDi boiler, which provides very hot water at good pressure to the taps (and to the shower, when you touch the hot side of the valve to check).

I have tried recalibrating the thermostatic valve but it makes no difference to the maximum temperature. I also tried reducing the cold water pressure from the mains (albeit that this would also reduce the pressure to the boiler), but it also didn't boost the temperature. I'm wondering whether it's simply a crap shower with a dodgy cartridge and I have been looking at a Grohe Grohtherm 1000, but I don't want to make the outlay to replace the valve unless I'm confident it'll fix the problem. If I do replace the valve, I'd like to avoid replacing the heads, but as you can see on the picture, the current valve appears to have been fitted upside-down, presumably swapping the ends over- the flow valve is on the left as normal, and the temperature control on the right. Would I need to/would it be possible to swap the ends over on the Grohe, since if I fitted it upside-down, presumably it wouldn't work as the thermostat would be on the wrong side?

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies for the rambling post.
DSC_0381.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Where should the filter be exactly and what should it look like? Would it be just behind where the valve is attached to the thread?

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks. Don't think I'll take it off tonight so I don't cause any problems ahead of the morning's showers but will hopefully do so tomorrow evening. What am I looking for with the filter? Why would it be causing the problem? The water pressure is very good from the shower, and always has been, in case that's relevant.

OK, thanks. Don't think I'll take it off tonight so I don't cause any problems ahead of the morning's showers but will hopefully do so tomorrow evening. What am I looking for with the filter? Why would it be causing the problem? The water pressure is very good from the shower, and always has been, in case that's relevant.

Hot on left is mixed with cold on the right. The numpty has fitted it upside down, if left isn't hot then you need to re-pipe.

Hot on left is mixed with cold on the right. The numpty has fitted it upside down, if left isn't hot then you need to re-pipe.

The left does get hot. I'm assuming he got a valve that you could switch the cartridge over on, as the cartridge is on the right hand (cold) side, which I'm assuming is where it's supposed to be (?).
Cheers.

It looks similar to ours :

http://www.betterbathrooms.com/rina-square-riser-rail-kit-with-ecobar-2-bar-shower-valve

Which the company has already replaced once. Basically, it's just not very good. We went for a cheap option at the time of getting shower replaced and now wish we'd got a better one. Never mind, ours works ok-ish for now. If it is from same company they didn't argue about replacing it. See if you can find out where yours is from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back