Think Cambelt Has Snapped.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks very likely that cambelt has snapped on 02 Scenic. Towed car home, and will look tomorrow. What is the very quickest and easiest way to confirm that it has snapped?
I want to spend as little time and effort on this car as possible, just want rid of it. If possible, don't want to even get out a spanner! Do I have to remove casing to see belt, or is there an easier way to confirm?
I understand that the head has to come of to assess damage, but could I not just fit new belt and try it? might it run (albeit roughly) even with bent valves? Can't hurt to try ?
I just want it to run enough to get to garage to part ex it, or to scrap yard.
Would a second hand engine be about £500 - £600 fitted? If so, taking into account car was worth £1000 before, would I be daft selling it as it is for £500? Is that too optimistic?
Any comments at all welcome.

Sponsored Links
seeing you aint worried about engine damage just turn it over as in trying to start it if it spin over faster than what it normally does then yeah will be head gasket. as for putting new belt on and trying to start it very much doubt that will work, but hey you havent got much to lose :LOL:

Been there, same car twice.
To tell, take oil cap off & look at the cam as someone else turns it over.
If it does not move, its the belt.

Cost me £750 first time.
2nd time I just scrapped the car, its not worth more than a couple of hundred now.

You can make more selling the parts on the bay if you have the time & storage space.

Got another, this time the first thing I did was spend 170 on having a new belt fitted.

Your valves will all be gone, the head wil need a regrind, the belt kit, possibly water pump etc all need replacing, do the aux belt at same time.

Watch out for the top 2 cogs too, if they have a welded on side peice to keep the belt inline, then these can come off too so you should change those cogs for the new one with moulded guards

Been there, same car twice.
To tell, take oil cap off & look at the cam as someone else turns it over.
If it does not move, its the belt.

Done that, I can see a cam, and it doesn't move, I suppose that confirms it then.

I'm going to sell it as it is, should get £500 for it.

Thanks for replies.

Sponsored Links
I scrapped mine, got another.

Van with seats... :D

Back