Think I have bitten off more than I can chew ???

Is that an example of lets-try-and-get-every-known-brick-detail-into-this wall perchance? Only things missing are a kneeler and some diapering...

And all done in LBC Tudors too. How quaint.

;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry Shy, it is a poxy example. The one i wanted to show is..er..rather small.

walling.jpg

I think I am going to lay the footing tomorrow (if this rain stops). In another thread ^Woody^ advised me to lay the bricks in a stretcher orientation for the footings as its only a small wall, the normal 150mm of concrete is overkill. Well. in order to do this I would have had to dig out loads more earth to accept the bricks. So, I am going to add some concrete instead. I found the foundation of the existing wall and have added some pegs level with this so I can lay the concrete. Then once set hopefully my new wall will be level with the existing.

Does everything look ok so far?

P1010232.jpg

P1010233.jpg

Sponsored Links
yup, get that concrete in and the great wall built!! :p

me thinks that be a yella level........

I have decided on going with a curved wall rather than the straight angled wall (if that makes sense!). Reason being is, I think it will look better and also there will be no akward angles to cut on the bricks. I have laid some bricks out dry as a tester.

Going to start it tomorrow. Having problems though getting hold of the coping stones to match the existing wall. They are twice weathered, 600 x 127mm BUFF colour. I have tried a couple of builders merchants and both said they do no know where I could get them from.

Any ideas?

P1010235.jpg

Looks good, but you need more mortar - keeps the bricks apart you see.:cool: :LOL:

Or does it keep them together? :confused:

GM, just remember that on the curved bit, you are better off butting the bricks up so that the back of the bricks join, and this will give a narrower [perp/vertical] joint on the front which looks a lot nicer

Looks good, but you need more mortar - keeps the bricks apart you see.:cool: :LOL:

Or does it keep them together? :confused:

GM, just remember that on the curved bit, you are better off butting the bricks up so that the back of the bricks join, and this will give a narrower [perp/vertical] joint on the front which looks a lot nicer

Thanks for all the advice, will post a pic tomorrow after I have spent all day laying the first course! :LOL:

I was going to suggest shuttering round that drain cover... but you already poured it...

can you still get the cover off?

I was going to suggest shuttering round that drain cover... but you already poured it...

can you still get the cover off?

Yes, there is a plastic collar which fits onto the drain, then the cover sits in this collar.

well, it's done. Just need to get the coping stones.

Does anyone know where I can get twice weathered 600 x 127mm BUFF coping stones? Know one seems to do these anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back