Thoughts on an AC overload marked 40 amp 60 Hz on DC supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a mobility scooter, the overload has smashed, so clearly needs renewing, marked 40 A 60 Hz 110 - 240 volt and supply is 24 volt DC from two 32 AH 12 volt AGM (VRLA) batteries, I also have a problem charging the batteries as the charger has gone walk about, which is how I found the damage where the battery has jumped up and smashed the overload, as needed to remove casing to gain access to charge batteries with two 12 volt chargers.

I have wanted to modify for ages, as one can't charge the batteries off the scooter, would be better to leave scooter in the car, and only take batteries in for charging, it is a large heavy lump to take in doors for no good reason.

But to replace with an AC overload does not seem right. Looks like this 1690020539455.pngbut it seems Amazon where I got picture from is out of stock. Only second hand ones on ebay. And would like to mount where not damaged if battery bounces.

Sponsored Links
A starter in the search is this thermal breaker from RS and made by ETA who probably do a 40 Amp version

RS stock number 344-5333

1658 Single Pole 250V Voltage Rating Panel Mount​

Make and model of scooter would be a starting place to source the correct item from a Mobility place?
https://www.chinadaier.com/40-amp-circuit-breaker/ is the one you have posted a picture of. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermal-breakers/7827953?gb=b is a DC 40A device from RS. eBay has a different brand and google found me at least one mobility place selling similar DC rated breakers.

Replacement mobility scooter chargers are usually readily available -- ensure it is a decent quality VRLA smart charger though (if you can tell such a thing from aftermarket manufacturer specs).

Batteries should be fixed / strapped down with something. My wife's Pride GoGo has Velcro strips under the two 22Ah 12V batteries (and under the battery pack housing on the scooter frame). I renew the strips in the cases when renewing the batteries.

Fit a suitable mains inlet to the vehicle to charge in situ? I used to run a mains lead into our car boot to charge the scooter in situ when we caravanned as the batteries took up too much room inside. I could even close and lock the boot without crushing the cable (rubber strips in the boot opening).

I need a three pin socket fitted to one battery, so I can charge off scooter, and a new overload, but scooter not used much, so may simply sell it.

But it seems strange to use 230 volt overloads, there were a range made for wagons, I assume one can still get them likely Durite?

Sponsored Links
The breaker will not care whether it is triggered by ac or dc, what matters is the type and size of current it has to break.

Personally I'd try and change it like for like, the designer of the equipment has obviously assessed it as suitable for the function dispite it being used outside the manufacturer's spec....

And a breaker designed for AC might be unable to supress the arc after breaking DC
which is why the AC rating is 250 V and the DC rating is much lower at 40 V.

Also some circuit breakers that are rated for DC operation use a "forced break" where a sheet of non conductive material is forced between the contacts to ensure they separate.. This also extends the length of the arc to be long enough to ensure that it quenches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back