thoughts on non notifiable work

Aren't a lot volunteers - leaving more for the paid executives?
Indeed - but, as I said, I would imagine that even if there are not any controls/restrictions, the number of highly paid 'executives' (and hence the total of their 'excessive' pay) will be pretty trivial in a large organisation.
No, it is a public company which does not equate to being a private landlord.
Per the definition of PRS I have always believed (see below), a 'public company' would, indeed, be a 'private landlord' (i.e. not 'Social Housing' - LA or HA).
What about the Crown Estate? Private landlord?
Dunno, but I suspect so - I can't believe that their properties count as 'Social Housing'!
Quite willing to be proved wrong by an indisputable definition of 'Private Rented Sector'.
Maybe it's my understanding that has always been wrong. Watch this space - Ill see what I can find.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Quite willing to be proved wrong by an indisputable definition of 'Private Rented Sector'.
Maybe it's my understanding that has always been wrong. Watch this space - Ill see what I can find.
Literal definitions are hard to find but, for starters, this lengthy document from ONS ( click here ) seems to recognise only three components of the total UK housing stock ...

Owner-occupation (62%)
Private Rented Sector (20%)
Social Housing (17%)

Continue watching this space!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Continue watching this space!
Although still not strictly a 'definition I think that this 208-page report (entirely about the "Private Rented Sector") ( click here ) goes a long way confirming what I have described as my understanding of the situation.

I would particularly draw your attention to sections 2.2 ("Small Landlords...") and 2.3 ("Larger Landlords"), the latter of which refers to "around 2,000" 'private landlords' with 100+ rental properties and at least one with 8,000 rental properties. As for the PRS as a whole, it presents this (note that, although it does not say so explicitly, other than for the 'N' row, the figures are all percentages for the year in question):

upload_2020-7-16_20-40-45.png

Kind Regards, John

In the UK, any property that is privately owned and being rented out as housing is classified as Private Rented Sector housing.
Yes, variants of that statement can be found everywhere - but I fear/suspect that EFLI will question what "privately owned" means - for example, claiming (I feel sure incorrectly!) that property owned by a "pubic company" (i.e. a 'PLC') s not "privately owned" :)

Kind Regards, John

Ok, I'll concede.

Perhaps I am confusing it with Osborne's tax changes, which did not include corporate nor foreign owners of rented accommodation, in thinking that was a private landlord.

Ok, I'll concede. Perhaps I am confusing it with Osborne's tax changes, which did not include corporate nor foreign owners of rented accommodation, in thinking that was a private landlord.
Fair enough.

One interesting thing, given your fears that there was a government policy to 'have it in' for small landlords, in favour of large corporate ones, although the figures are obviously now pretty stale (only going up to 2010), it's interesting to see in that table I just posted that, of all 'private rented properties', the proportion of landlords who were "individuals/couples/partnerships" rose from 61% in 1998 to 89% in 2010 (and, I suspect, has risen to even higher since then) - so maybe you can be a little 'reassured'!

Kind Regards, John

2010 was just after the crash and when Osborne became Chancellor.
I can't dispute that. Are you implying an expectation that the trends I described will have reversed since then?

The most recent data I have so far found is for 2016, which you can find (here) .

As of 2016, it was somewhat of a 'mixed picture' - as you can see, a little over 60% of private landlords had only one rental property, but nearly 40% of all rental property was attributable to landlords with 5 or more properties - make of that what you will :) "5 or more" is not a terribly useful top band for identifying the 'big boys' you have been talking about.

upload_2020-7-16_22-20-46.png

Kind Regards, John

For the purposes of the lecky safety regs, we're talking about any assured shorthold tenancy - with a specific list of exceptions. So the question of ownership (individual vs ltd co vs plc) doesn't come into it. Housing associations are one of the exceptions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back