Ticking pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a ticking noise when the combi boiler comes on first thing which is so loud I either have to turn heating off, or get up at the crack of dawn.
I've seen on earlier posts that it's probably the pipes rubbing against something but how can we rectify? Do we need a plumber to fix or is this something we can do ourselves (bearing in mind neither of us are Handy Andy)?
I'm desperate for a lie-in...
Thanks

Sponsored Links
HI

this can happen due to several reasons
1.pipes fitted/layed too close
2.pipes not clipped/supported properly
3.pipes passing through joists too tight

can you lift floorboards for these ?

Every morning at 6.30, the combi kicks in. It starts with a few creaks and cracks followed by a very loud farting sound. I keep expecting Ronnie Barker to jump out of the wardrobe. It isn't me by the way!

Sponsored Links
HI

if you can see pipes and are very tight you could try to make the joists wide (just few mm)
if the pipes are touching each other you can simply put a piece of cloth in between to stop them rubbing
or simply put few pipe clips on the pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back