Tile sealer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few rogue tiles scattered amongst the mainly good ones on a pantile roof.Certainly not going to lift a complete roof to replace a few tiles as this would unleash a multitude of problems(and moths from my wallet :( ).Some fool cemented the tiles in place and another fool(me) secured some loose ones on a gable end 10 years ago with lime mortar and these are fine....very best of a bad job,you would not want to see what was under them!
I`m looking for a sealant which will penetrate the few bad tiles which have lost their glazed protection....wish to make them impervious to water and consolidate their crumbling structure too.
Any suggestions to this end greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
No they`re bang in the middle and cemented in on dodgy retaining strips...if what I found on an exploratory ten years ago elsewhere on the roof is anything to go by!
I could probably overcome the cement issue but don`t want to risk a hole in the eaves-type roof....no void/attic on inside ,just lime-plastered lath.Very old roof which would cost a fortune to replace but appears sound for a few more years if not interfered with too much.
Just wondered if anyone has used a good saturation type flexible sealing solution which they`d recommend?Something to seal and consolidate.

I have seen thousands of different quick type remedies for roofing problems and they look ugly and I would not have been there if they worked it would be best to replace the broken tiles. I came across a you,tube clip of someone showing how to change broken tiles

Sponsored Links
Just what do you mean by rogue tiles ?

If you mean a few are decaying and spalling then just replace those few and any others you break getting to them. I would not be worried about previous patching work where tiles may have been cemented in place, pehaps because just the nibs broke.

You have already discovered that by doing some maintenance the roof has been OK for ten years. It is what you need to continue doing until the rate of replacement signals that perhaps it's time to renew them all.

There are a few old pantiles which have lost their waterproof glaze and are structurally starting to break down.The corresponding area on the upstairs eaves wall-come-ceiling gets damp after a downpour.I have no desire to make extra work for myself if a sealant will consolidate and seal the tiles.Roof is not pretty but is secure,so have no plans to open up a can of worms by removing the concrete on the back of the roof.The front repairs(south-facing)which I carried out ten years ago did not necessitate removal of any concrete but had to lime mortar them in place due to condition of roof structure.That area has weathered in and looks fine and hasn`t leaked since.That procedure is not possible on the back roof so all I want is a suitable waterproof sealant.
Can`t spend a fortune I don`t have repairing a roof on a property I may be vacating soon ,especially as it would not lead to greater returns on sale price.

Better fixing it properly. If you bodge one area then you'll no-doubt bodge elsewhere. Surveyors aren't thick you know.

The corresponding area on the upstairs eaves wall-come-ceiling gets damp after a downpour.

Is your explanation of a "eaves-come-wall/ceiling" meaning a raked ceiling?

If so, then you may be surprised to learn that this detail is one of the most overlooked parts of a build (earlier buildings) regards insulation and ventilation and is extremely prone to condensation related damp.

There are billions of posts specifically covering this problem as there are trillions of homes with black mould and condensation issues in this very location.

Yeah I realise that Joe-90...and neither am I. ;) Actually just remembered two incidences where surveyors have had the wool pulled over their eyes but for litigious reasons I`d better say no more.

Whoever buys this property will probably not use a surveyor as mortgages not available for it.I bought it for cash years ago knowing full well it was very cheap for a reason.Bit like buying a basket-case car/motorcycle to restore,the type who buys it will see it`s a "non-runner" and have a good idea what they`re letting themselves in for.

My bodges tend to be safe , good bodges and last for years :)

Noseall,you`ve hit the nail on the head.

I`d always known the two upstairs rooms as eaves rooms for some reason,so it`s useful to know the proper technical term for the sloping wall/ceiling.

I didn`t know about the ventilation problems associated with this type of build...and black mould there is.One room is unused and surprise-surprise there`s no mould.Not a healthy place to live but luckily have the background to compensate so`ve got away with it so far.Once I have a new wood-burner blasting out heat then know that`ll help....had one here previously and all was well(before the chimney episode...but that`s another story!). Heat,lime plaster& it`s breath-ability all worked fine.Bit of a wet end to the summer and a few porous tiles and things have deteriorated.....hence requiring a quick-fix sealant for a few porous tiles.

I`m looking for a sealant which will penetrate the few bad tiles which have lost their glazed protection....wish to make them impervious to water and consolidate their crumbling structure too.
Thank you.
Thompson`s water seal will penetrate and waterproof but not consolidate them - glazed pantiles , nice in Royal Tun. Wells but a pain elsewhere ;)

Haha...Nige,if only I had one of those biscuit-tin properties you refer to.

I suppose I`ve named them wrong too ;) I should have said they`d lost their natural firing glaze rather than called them glazed tiles!

Reckon I`ll dig out the dozen or so glass pantiles I`ve got kicking about, fit them and be done :) Let some light in too.

Thanks for the sealant product details,will check it out,could well do the trick as not expecting them to fall to bits just yet.Will report back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back