Tiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps,

Long story but I'll try to be brief....

We needed our bathroom plastered and tiled and eventually found a tiler/plasterer who could start in a weeks time (should've known with him not being busy....)

Anyway he came and plastered and to my eye (i.e. untrained) it looked fine. This week he started tiling on Monday and didn't get a great deal done but come Tuesday night the work he had done was clearly not even and not level etc.

Wednesday morning we informed him we weren't happy with the standard and a quantity of tiles would need rectifying. Next thing we know he tells us he's going to get some more materials. Once he'd left to go and get some more materials we go and look at what he had done only to find all the tools had gone and a row of tiles had been removed and were laying in the new bath.

An hour later we get a text from him saying he want's paying for the work so far then he'll come and finish.

We got a family friend who is a professional tiler to come and look at the work (he is backlogged for 6 months otherwise he'd have done it). He pointed out to us that virtually every tile was uneven, he hadn't started in the correct place and all the plastering was uneven.

We then text our tiler (he doesn't answer his phone) and said we would pay him the agreed price on completion but he had to come and put it right including re-plastering etc. giving him to oppurtunity to rectify the faults. His reply was, "I'll come and get my bloody plaster and take it back and leave it as I found it."

Now obviously with this attidtude I'd rather not have him back at the house, who knows what vindictive damage he may cause....

How do I stand in this situation. I am not paying him for the substandard work so far, and have given him the oppurtunity to rectify the problems. Do I have to let him back in the house to remove the plastering he has done or can I refuse and also refuse to pay him?

Any advice gratefully received....

Sponsored Links
Your free local Citizens Advice Bureau maybe the best way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back