Tiles on EPDM / EDPM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The question is in the title really. I have used an EDPM membrane on an extension flat roof with a view to making it into a terrace (actually the door is in - so it is a bit more than that now). I'm sure that when i bought the rubber a year or more ago, that the supplier advertised it as able to accept tiles as a finish amongst most other things.

Now that i am ready to buy the tiles i have stumbled accross two resources that advise against this proactice due to the reaction between the alkalinity in the tile adhesive and the rubber.

One article says MOST tile adhesives are incompatible with the rubber - whihc suggests that some are OK.

Any ideas or experience of this would be enormously appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
I'd be surprised if any membrane manufacturer would say that you can bed tiles straight on to the membrane. Usually a protection fleece should be placed over the membrane and then covered.

You could lay paving laid on top of paving supports which is fairly common.

Other options include a rubber paving tile (rubbertech) which is available though the SIG group or another easy and attractive option would be Eco Deck tiles which are interlocking decking units.

In all cases make sure that water can get away.

Thanks for the reply - i appreciate your time and advice.

I will certainly investigate the protective fleece (something i was not aware of) - any tips on supplier - and i will also look at the paving supports.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back