Tiling a kitchen using polished marble tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife would like to tile the kitchen walls with 30.5 x 30.5 x 1cm polished Crema Marfil marble tiles. Now, I'm sure this would look nice but I have some concerns over its suitablity.

Firstly, is polished marble a suitable wall covering for a kitchen?

Secondly installation. The tiles are obviously quite large and thick and there are a lot of sockets/electrical fittings to tile around. Is it possible to cut a square or rectangle hole in a marble tile to fit around a electrical socket or can cuts only be made into the edges of a tile?

And thirdly, by my reckoning there are instances where the unpolished edges would be on show, along the window sill for example where the vertical wall meets the horizontal window sill. Can these edges be polished or should trim be used?

Originally I was considering this a diy job but that was when I thought I would be dealing with ceramic tiles. Do you think its possible for a diy'er to achieve a good result with marble tiles or should I get a pro in?

Helpful replies greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if it's suitable because to allow for adhesive thickness as well you're looking at least 15mm overall thickness and will be heavy. The next problem I can see is that the wiring of the sockets or wall light may not be long enough (best to ask the electrician on here to advise if that's the case). I have seen them in thinner tile thickness so may heve to shop around. Is it not possible to have it in ceramic tiles with the same effect?

Thanks for your reply masona. I hadn't thought of that. I will check the electrical fittings to see if they could accomodate the extra 15mm depth.

I would think the weight would be ok, as long as the correct adhesive is used but I am worried about the sheer awkwardness of fitting such large tiles around the electrical fittings. I can't imagine 1cm thick marble being particularly easy to cut.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Cuts easily with an electric tile cutter. Will definatly need longer screws for the elec sockets and as masona says wires may be a bit stretched but I have fitted thicker handmade tiles in kitchens. Make sure the marble is correctly sealed before grouting, ask the marble supplier what he advises.

Exposed edges can be mitred or have them polished

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back