Tiling a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I need to renew our patio but don't want to get in to deep IE: ripping up the old one. I'm told you can lay Porcelain Tiles outdoor and I'm looking at tiling over the old slabs. Any ideas please. REG 7

Sponsored Links
you could lay porcelian tiles over a very good flat concrete base but laying them over slabs will be a big fail.

If you were really intent on doing it laying a 75mm-100mm screed over the lot and then laqying tiles with tile cement would probably be your best bet.

Laying a flag of some sort on a mortar bed over the top is a much better idea if your definately going to leave the old stuff which i dont recommend.

Hi r896neo, thanks for your reply. Well that's blown the tile idea out of the water. To old at 77 plus to dig up the old patio, and the labour cost to get someone in is not an option. Pity there's not a floor paint that would do the job. Will have to live with it. Thanks again.

As i mentioned you could risk laying flags over it on a solid mortar bed. if laid well it should last a decent while.

Your minimum flag plus bedding depth would be 60mm ish so if that will bring you up too near dpc then its probably a no go.

Sponsored Links
Hi r896neo, thanks for that, time to check out the dpc, think it could work. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back