Tiling Basement floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The floor in my cellar has a damp patch, and the rest of it is in bad condition. I cant find where the damp is coming from so am going to tile over the floor.

I plan to use bitumen, or Synthaproof, then tile. Is it OK to tile on this, is there anything else I should use. I know I should put 50mm or so of concrete on top, but there just isnt the head height.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
can i just get this straight in my head dude, you have a damp problem, dont know where its coming from so cant cure it so going to just tile over it?

have i read that correctly?

:eek:

If you have a damp "Problem" then you must solve it before you do anything, if you dont then it wont go away!!!! What you must do on this forum is ask , what you must do to solve it!!! All you have asked is ,"Is it alright to tile on top of the Syntaproof you have put down"

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I appreciate your point. I will have another go at locating the source of the damp.

So far I cant figure it out. I can only assume it is coming up through the floor, the floor is porous brick, with soil directly underneath.

I suppose what I should be asking is, is a small amount of damp to be expected and tolerated in a cellar. I dont need to to be 100% dry.

And also, if this is the case, how much damp is it OK to use the above method on? If any?

Thanks

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back