Tiling on a bitumen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen floor is coated in bitumen.

I've been told that tile adhesive does not stick very well to this (is this true?) on top of it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
having just removed some thermoplastic tiles from a bituminised floor, I can vouch for the fact that they were stucky pretty well. I've always laid ceramic tiles over a floor that had previously held cork tiles. I think modern hard tile adhesives work on most surfaces.

I agree with Nick, ideally you remove it, Thats what the technical help desk would advise. But in reality agood adhesive like Bal Rapidset will stick to most thinks. You could PVA it first, just to be sure.

Tony the Tiler said:
You could PVA it first, just to be sure.
No need to pva it - it'd just sit on the top of the bitumen rather than soak in. Read the sticky in the floor tiling section and pay note to the "tiling onto concrete/ashphalt" part for advice on preparation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back