Tiling onto wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently converting our old larder room into a utility room. My wife has suggested having tiles as a work surface. Is there any particular wood that would be better to tile onto? I am quite experienced with tiling although have never tiled onto wood before. I have not got a huge budget but would like to do a quality job so don't mind spending money in the right places.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Tile onto WBP plywood.This comes in 8'x4' sheets.Tile onto 9mm thickness minimum,but you can also get sheets 12mm,18mm and 25mm thick.Use a flexible tile adhesive and grout for timber applications.You would probably be better to fix a frame under the ply to add extra support ,and once you have finished tiling,a nice beading around the edges would add to the look.Make sure that the grout is well pushed into the joints.

Roughcaster.

I suggest not tiling directly on to the wood but fix a tile backing board to the wood first with wood screws. Most DIY and tile shops stock this backing sheet. Go to a tile shop they're more likely to give pointers than the DIY stores.

Sponsored Links
I would tile on to 15mm ply if poss on go on with flex powder adhesive.

If you go for a 9mm ply you should be looking at 2 part adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back