TILING OVER EXISTING WOODEN INTERIOR STAIRS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody out there ever layed ceramic tiles over existing wooden interior stairs. I have tiled an entire top floor and now want to tile the stairs joining the two floors but have no idea how to tile over the existing stairs. I realise i have to use bullnose stair treads and flexible adhesive but i don't no how to get the tile and tread flush.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum.
You need to have a square edge to the step - to do this you have 2 options:
1. Cut off the bull nose with a jigsaw.
2. Pack the riser with ply so that it is flush with the edge of the bull nose.

I prefer option 1.
You have to ensure that the treads are very rigid - any play and the tiles will come loose. You'd be as well overboarding the treads with 12mm ply (the risers will be ok cause there's no weight on them).

The only thing wrong with packing the tread with ply is that it won't fit the bullnose tread as neatly and compact because it raises the tread to meet the tile(thus showing the wooden bull bottom part of the tread). I have got a dilemma here! Is there anything else that i could do that would look as striking? Or do you know of anywhere that i can purchase deeper treads from

I'm not sure you follow. These are the options I was referring to (the hatched areas are ply). Any gaps around the bull nose area will be filled with adhesive or grout.

Stairs.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think now we have mastered it . We are going to go with what you suggested and fit a square nose instead all round much easier. Thanks for your input it was much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back