Tiling over plywood subfloor - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, following a waste pipe leak that's now been fixed, I'm renovating my kitchenette. To start with I wanted to remove the old laminate flooring and put tiles instead. I removed most of the laminate today and found that the 18mm plywood (can you confirm it is plywood from the pictures?) subfloor is quite wet especially in one spot (see pic), the upper surface is a bit creased and uneven and dump to the touch, but overall the subfloor feels sound and firm.

I'm hoping the dump may be due to the waste pipe leak and that it will get dry in a few days, although that spot is not immediately close to where the leak was, so it's a bit strange.

The original plan was to let the plywood dry from the leak near the waste pipe then put a Schluter DITRA membrane on top of the subfloor and then tile over it.

Underneath the laminate there was a very light film substrate that left the wood surface quite sticky once i removed it. Also, I couldn't get all of the film off, there are bits left here and there.

If it does get dry over the next few days, can I just sand the plywood down to remove the stickiness and to flatten the creased area, and get on with the plan? Or will I have to replace the plywood altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Here are a couple of pictures. Whole subfloor and detail of the dump bit in front of the sink

Attachments

• 20220830_192117.jpg
    20220830_192117.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220830_190338.jpg
    20220830_190338.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 57

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back