Tiling over wallboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I am preping the corner of a room for a log burner. Have poured the hearth and am about to tile up the wall. Hearth is 900 mm deep and log burner is around 980mm tall so around 2 square metres of tile going on across the corner.

Upon stripping the wallpaper off it seems the wall on one side (Right hand side in picture) is an old fashioned wall board. I had originally thought it was plasterboard but having stripped the paper and looked in the socket (Its being moved obviously) its clearly not.

Hetas man says this is fine from a combustables distance view point but am I okay to tile on the wallboard from a 'support the weight' perspective. The wallboard is firmly fixed I think on batons which look to be about 2 foot centres. As above the tiles are only going up the wall by around a mtr so the weight is not going to be huge (1 square mtr on that side plus cement and grout) but wanted to get some advice. Am using cement based powered adhesive.

If I can, is it worth putting some PVA on the board first to provide a better surface. If I can't am I best to apply a plasterboard panel to the wall board and tile that. Don't really want to remove and replace the wallboard.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back