Timber front door and glass panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly, let me apologise for my ignorance. I am currently renovating a house and all of this is quite new to me.

We would like to replace a double upvc front door with a more traditional timber door with double glazed glass panels to each side.

However, we have absolutely no idea how to go about this as when we have spoke to any builders, they always just try and sway us to a composite system or to block up the side panels! They seem to think that this would be more expensive but I don't really understand why ...

Would really appreciate any advice on where we can get such an opening - timber door frame and door with double glazed window panels, and who we should be speaking to ... Am I better speaking to a joiner, than a builder. The only reason we have been speaking to builders is because we need a side window blocking up and an internal door unit moving in the same process.

Sponsored Links
Is the door opening suitable or does it require widening. Not clear from your post.
Local double glazing firm made mine to measure, you could have a carpenter fit.
Many online door companies sell ready made door/frame and side panels.

The world is full of folks ready to offer their expert advice (I know that's why were hear) but you've hit the nail on the head, ask a joiner.
Timber door frames with side lights, are available from many local and national suppliers/manufacturers. If you do a search and contact a likely one, ask them to send a rep round and advise you what preparations to the slap will be required, that way you will get it right...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back