Timber lintel advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a three storey house and the bottom floor used to be a shop.i have got change of use permission to turn it back into residential and have got building reg to come round and look at what I am changing. I need to remove two large windows and put smaller dg windows in and brick up to suit. All pretty straight forward but when I have removed the plaster from round one of the windows I have noticed it has a wooden lintel which also supports the floor above I.e joists sit on it.the lintel is in very good condition no signs of rot it is bone dry and solid.my worry is will building control want me to change this or is it ok to leave in.

Sponsored Links
As long as it is structurally sound, Building Control cannot ask you to replace it.
It will, of course, need to be protected by plasterboard to 30 mins fire resistance.

It looks sound and the brickwork above and around it has go no cracks or signs of movement so hopefully
ok thanks for the response will get in touch with bc tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back