To Fuse or not to Fuse?

Wont fitting a 1a fuse technically be non compliant with bs7671 now as only 3,5 & 13a recognised in the BGB!
Is that true - I hadn't noticed! However, I don't think it's non-compliant with BS7671 to employ a higher degree of protection than the Standard mentions. I also rather doubt that BS7671 'over-rides' it's brother BS1362 - which, AFAIAA, still recognises 1A fuses!
But in the real world i would be inclined to connect directly to the led driver and not bother with the fcu
... as, I would imagine, would virtually all of us. In fact, I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever seen an installation in which all of the lighting 'transformers'/PSUs were fed via FCUs?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think someone should be browsing over requirements of 533.
Well, I did browse it and, as I wrote to yorkspark, hadn't noticed any restriction to 3A, 5A and 13A for BS1362 fuses. 533.1 and 533.1.1.2 appear to be saying that any fuse compliant with BS1362 is acceptable and, as I said, AFAIAA, 1A (and 10A, and possibly other) fuses still exist in BS1362 (as well as 3A, 5A and 13A ones) - I certainly have plenty of 1A fuses with "BS1362" written all over them!

Am I missing something?

Kind Regards, John

The great majority of faults (particularly those which cause equipment to 'literally explode') will usually result in very rapid operation ofthe circuit's protective device.
Or a very rapid nothing at all except the smoke being let out of the device.

Sponsored Links
The great majority of faults (particularly those which cause equipment to 'literally explode') will usually result in very rapid operation ofthe circuit's protective device.
Or a very rapid nothing at all except the smoke being let out of the device.
Yes, I should have added that - which, in practice, may well be the most common scenario. However, as I'm sure you understand, my point remains - that a fault resulting in a persistent fault current which is high, but not high enough to result in very rapid operation of an OPD (probably by magnetic tripping) is a pretty (probably very) rare animal.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back