to move or not to move a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am planning to get some furniture fitted on a wall/floor. But this would cover a twin power socket. My main question is: Am I allowed to do that or do regulations require me to move the socket/ rewire the ring so it does not run through the covered socket ?
originally I was planning to just add a spur from the covered socket using a junction box or loose the socket completely.

Sponsored Links
The only reg that I can come up with is that all connections must be accessible. You can leave the socket there and put portable furniture in front of it. Do NOT take the socket off and plaster the hole up. If you're fitting a spur, spur off this socket and leave it in place.

thanx for the reply.

I was planning to have the furniture fix/fitten and not portible. So if regs require me to have access to the socket then I prob. have to move the socket and not just add a spur and fix the furniture infront of it.

Could you cut a hole in the back of the cabinet? I think this is acceptable, as long as there isnt about 6 inches between the back and the wall, thus making it impossible to work on the socket.

Sponsored Links
If the furniture could be moved by undoing a few screws or something then I would still say that is accessible. It's at least as accessible as sockets or flex outlets behind kitcken appliances

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back