To nog or not to nog...

Sponsored Links
Will your coving - if secured properly - offer support for the short runs between between your joists? That's what I assumed, and no cracks/movement over 1.5 years. I only put noggins in where I joined sheets of PB between joists... I occasionally used some bits of 22mm mdf I had left over to 'stitch' edges together. All screws too - no nails!

I haven't used coving but it would have provided a bit of support. However, when I looked closely, the biggest problem was not really movement/flex but was misalignment of boards in vertical dimension due to the non-uniformity of the old joists, ie the boards were flush on the joists but in some cases were 3-4mm proud of each other mid span. Like you I 'stitched' the board's edges in line with pieces of 2x1 batten along each join. Total time to remove every other row of board, cut and fit battens and replace boards was less than 2 hours.

nice! I had that problem too - and joists having warped and rotated in the middle - only slightly, but enough to mean 2-3mm offsets between sheets.

TBH - the ceiling looks mint now it's been skimmed, my plasterer did a great job of covering my "aah, thats how you're meant to do it" learning experience!!

Sponsored Links
Same here. Whole room plastered and looks great. The room is painted, carpet was fitted last week and we've just built the sofas. There's a real danger it could be sorted in time for Xmas.
Mike

haha brill!! I'm hoping for the same.... But Christmas 2020!! I was making great progress - but then we had a baby! I now get one day a week on DIY if I'm lucky!!! Oh yeah, and we decided it would be a good idea to combine the project with the upstairs hallway - the stairs are in the room too so though it would be stupid to recarpet the stairs and not the upstairs landing... The problem being the upstairs landing needed more walls moving, a velux installing, 2 rads to move, a sloped doorway & door to build more PB stripping back, as well as removing 40+ years of varnish and orange wood-stain from 10m of skirting, 5 doorways and 20 decorative balustrades!!!! Keeps me busy!

Good luck getting in for Christmas!! well jealous!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back