toeing and heeling a upvc door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a go at adjusting my upvc door, It was too low and catching at the bottom when it was opened. I`ve managed to lift it and stop the catching but now when I close the door there is some resistance and the door does not sit comfortably in the frame. If i take my hand off the door it pushes away from the frame.
Anyone tell me where I`ve gone wrong with the adjustment? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You may not have done anything wrong, just have a look from the outside to see whats pushing the door open, look all the way around.

Doe the door still latch if you push it to?

Hi crank, I`ve hit on another problem now. I`ve had to lower the door so it catches again because (as i found out at 11 o`clock last night) the door wouldn`t lock when high enough not to catch at the bottom.
I`m thinking my best option might be to phone the guy who fitted it but he always has loads of work on and getting him out for a half hour job isn`t easy.
All suggestions most welcome.

If the door wasn't catching the bottom after you toe and heeled it but not latching then you could of just removed the striker plate and fixed it back on a touch higher up, but if you still have that problem of the door being sprung out and you can't find the cause then its best to get bloke out who fitted it, for him it'll be a 5 min job

Sponsored Links
..ok. you will probally need the installer back to de-glaze it and pack it (toe and heel) again so the opposite from hinge side top door leaf mitres are in line with the door frame mitre. Some doors come glazed so the fitter will not bother to de glaze and set it up.

once the weld mitres are in line set the door keep up/down - in/out then the rest if req.

One silly thing that can cause a call out and has.. :eek: is a "weather drip/bar" on the outside being knocked along it's fixings and fouls the door when trying to shut it.

hope this helps?

carwyn.. your not a plumber are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back