Toilet Cistern leak, real help here please, I am sick.

some times the leak is small, hence it can take a few flushes to build up the water enough to form a small puddle to then travel to the bolt and leak.

new doughnut rather than silicone (specially when you want to take it apart again for what ever reason)

Sponsored Links
No better, I tried silicon, made it worse.

I changed the washer and bolt from the left side...it held for 2.5 hours then it begun to drip rapidy.

I think there should be another washer and nut that goes under the cistern and thus seals the cistern prior to it been fitted to the pan. Then the bolt under the pan is just used as a securing bolt and not to provide pressure to seal the cistern too.

Where might I find such a washer and bolt?

Check the following:

MAKE SURE THE PAN IS LEVEL AND THE CISTERN LEVEL ON THE PAN.

Forget silicone,plumber's mait or any of that cr*p. You don't need it.

WILL SAY AGAIN.CHECK THAT THE PAN IS LEVEL!

Sponsored Links
pan is level, as I say it can seal fr 2.5 hours and not leak, then untouched just starts to drip heavily

Ok, this is not rocket science. Take cistern off pan. Put it on two bricks and fill with water . Leave it overnight and see if any drips from underneath in morning. Could be seal at ball valve or syphon.
You won't be able to see where the water's coming from with the cistern still attached to the pan.

What you should do is place cistern on paper and fill with water

Where did you put the rubber washers on the inside of the cistern or outside

or stand it on two bricks :LOL:

A bet ya the cistern either has a small hairline crack or is porous or a misshapen casting ,had them all before. Get a replacement before you end up taking a hammer to it . Do what other posts say suspend on a couple o bricks and fill up place kitchen roll underneath .

I only got 1x 10mm plastic screw for each side, with one nut and one washer for each side. So the screw has to hold the cistern onto the pan and also compress the doughnut too.

The dome washer I am putting on the inside so the dome goes down thru the hole in the cistern.

What I need is a slim 10mm nut. Then I can put the screw in the cistern thru the dome washer, then put a washer under the cistern then the slim nut, tighten this up, then put the cistern onto the pan and then use the original plastic nut to secure onto the pan.

Anyone know where I can get a slim nut from?

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back