toilet flush problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops: i've just replaced the flap valve in a low level cistern. To do so I had to disconnect the supply and remove the cistern. Now the cistern flushes fine but now the toilet fills with water and then empties rather than flushing the waste down the s trap. It seemed a simple job - what have I done wrong?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your drains have coincidentally blocked up to me.

If your toilet is an old syphonic one there is another possible cause but that is quite rare and not easy to explain

Do you have the old flap valve? No? Then you dropped it down the pan!

Or knocked a toilet freshener cage down whilst you were working on it. Straighten out a coat hanger and go fishing !!

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom said:
Sounds like your drains have coincidentally blocked up to me.

If your toilet is an old syphonic one there is another possible cause but that is quite rare and not easy to explain
Ah that reminds me when I worked @ an old hotel .there were syphonics from the 30`s installed with 3inch lead pipes behind forming the second trap . 6 of the buggers- one drove me mad and it turned out to be a bit of wallpaper got inside when the painter stripped the walls :evil: :rolleyes: Happy days

All. Many thanks for your suggestions. i've entertained myself for hours fishing with bent wire before removing the toilet bowl. i've checked down 5 metres with no sign of an obstruction.
i've removed a part from the bottom of the flush pipe which doesn't appear to have any use. its the same diameter as the flush pipe, about 2.5 inches long. Theres a pipe which is about 0.5 inches in diameter which extends about 3 inches down from the middle of the extended flush pipe. Water does not run down this end of the pipe because the top end is sealed. There is also a rubber washer, a bit like half a rubber ball, which appears to fit on to this pipe, but if you do it seals off the flush pipe so that no water can get out.
I'm baffled. Have you got any other ideas?.

That is the syphon device that draws the air out between the 2 traps. the half rubber ball is an air seal. Coincidentaly I had one in my hand yesterday :LOL: . The guy had a nice new 6 litre flush wc fitted. You actually fitted a flap valve, not a syphon, in the cistern :?: Sorry to laugh, it is Diy NOT after all :LOL: . You need a new setup, just like my M8 yesterday...Those old syphonic wc`s are old hat and used 2+ gallons of water. Take it into the garden, break it open and wonder at the potters skill making 2 traps with a vacuum chamber between. Beware of the broken porcelain. you can shave with it .it`s sharp Slugbaby.com was right:cool: SYPHONIC pan :oops:

perkyduck said:
i've removed a part from the bottom of the flush pipe which doesn't appear to have any use. its the same diameter as the flush pipe, about 2.5 inches long. Theres a pipe which is about 0.5 inches in diameter which extends about 3 inches down from the middle of the extended flush pipe.
When I was a young sluglet we used to refer to this as a 'bomb' It is instrumental in the syphonic action of the pan. Look after it and put it back as you found it. Replace the flap valve with a suitable syphon or better still repair the old one. They usually just need a new diaphragm. Nige F's idea of renewing the complete toilet has a lot of weight now water conservation is more of an issue
A syphonics operation is to fill a little then as the syphonic action begins suddenly slurp up your Richard the thirds as it flushes full bore and then slowly refill the pan. I wish I had one in front of me then I could explain more. As I remember the bombs part is to hold back some water to refill the bowl by acting as a float and seal in conjunction with the vacuum chamber [the part between the two traps]

pic032.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back