Toilet output adaptor 110mm force into 95mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I’m replacing an old, vertical outlet toilet with a new, horizontal outlet one. I’ll use a swan-neck adaptor to do this because the new toilet outlet spigot is almost exactly vertically above the centre of the outlet pipe in the floor.

The old toilet plugged into the 110mm pipe in the floor using an adaptor with a rubber seal for the toilet spigot, like modern ones, and the other end was inserted into the floor pipe - there is no wax seal or flange. This old adaptor won’t budge - it is well and truly stuck in the floor pipe, and I fear I will damage the pipe under the floor if I start using more force.

The internal diameter of the old adapter appears to be about 95mm.

Does anyone know if the McAlpine swan-neck adaptor (110mm), with its multiple sealing fins, will fit into my old 95mm old adaptor? (I don’t want to try, and then get the new adaptor jammed into the old one). If not, is there something else I can use to connect the new spigot to the old adaptor which are almost exactly in line vertically? Or do you think there shouldn’t be anything holding the adaptor inside the pipe so I should try harder?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it’s 95mm? Could you post a photo?

Not a pretty sight I’m afraid Chris, but does this help at all?
Cheers
Rob

Attachments

• E20216B4-E05D-4710-93C0-D6E55B365CB6.jpeg
    E20216B4-E05D-4710-93C0-D6E55B365CB6.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 77
  • BC56DDBB-BF05-42DD-A086-2F4BB8A9DB31.jpeg
    BC56DDBB-BF05-42DD-A086-2F4BB8A9DB31.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The part above floor level is a sort of cosmetic surround that went around the old spigot.

Sponsored Links
A long screwdriver should get that out. It appears to be an extension piece cut down.

That makes sense, but I can’t understand why it’s so tight - I’ve tried using a bar (like a long screwdriver but with a hook on the end) from below, and tried levering from under the side of the wider top part but it doesn’t move.
But okay, i’ll try harder!
Many thanks!
Rob

It'll have to be cut off. It's unusual to have a white ceramic pipe going into the floor . The thing at the top is possibly a heat shrink connector ( I heard of them years ago but never used one)

• Thanks
Well, I set to it again, this time with 2 straight iron bars- like long screwdrivers but thicker and a bit longer - hooked under the thing at the top (fortunately there's a good lip on it, albeit a bit curved). Drew a pencil line and gave it all I had (at 67 years) and gradually, mm by mm it is moving! There's a fair way to go but it's looking very hopeful now! I just hope I'm not damaging any joins underneath the floor - there's a lot of creaking but no cracking sounds!
Nice F, I don't think the white pipe is ceramic but I'll let you know when it's out - but thanks for your advice - by the time I read it I was already having a bit of success with Plan A. Oh, and yes, your heat shrink observation makes sense - it looks just like that.

Sorry, Nige F, not Nice F! Darned autocorrect - it also tried to change it to Nigella!

Success! It's plastic/pvc. Thanks Chris and Nige F.
Rob

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back