Toilet overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help for some reasons I'm doing something wrong, the toilet is overflowing into the tube as the water is not shutting off. I have replaced the washer in the injet valve but it's still not shutting down, when I manually raise the ball the water still doesn't shut down, water still splashes out from the lever unit unto the walls of the toilet bowl does this mean the washer isn't working? I have tried lowering the float ball but still no difference please someone help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
most likely you have reassembled the valve wrong, or a bit fell out when you took it apart.

A new one is not at all expensive. If you get one similar to the old, you can probably swap them just by undoing the big nut on the stem.

Questions are:
incoming water pipe in the side or the bottom of the cistern?

How long is the arm?

Is it at mains pressure, or from a tank in the loft? this is important.

Post a pic if you can.

The Pegler Prestex part 2 is very good, if it fits your needs, but the more modern Fluidmasters are very quiet. Brass stem is better than plastic.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms...s/cat831620#category=cat831620&sort_by=-price

http://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms-kitchens/fill-flush-valves/cat831618

Here are the pics. I followed all instructions carefully but to no avail. Do you mean I should buy a new washer or a complete injet system ? Incoming water pipe is at the bottom, and I don't think there is a tank at the loft

Sponsored Links
Just buy a new bottom-entry fluidmaster, it should be an easy swap for your old one. I don't know how to service the old one.

turn off the water supply at that flexible braided hose (turn the screw-head so the slot is at right angles to the pipe)

flush the WC and sponge the cistern dry. Verify that it does not refill.

Undo the nut holding the hose to the stem of the ballcock and slide it off

Undo the nut under the cistern which holds the stem in place

lift out the valve from the cistern

mop up the water that came out

clean the seating around the hole inside and out, e.g with a nylon scourer then a rag

slide the new valve into place, with the new rubber sealing washer in place

tighten the nut onto the stem under the cistern

reconnect the hose to the stem, taking great care not to cross-thread it

Adjust the valve per the instructions

Turn the water on and verify adjustment

check for leaks

I just bought the fluid master having difficulties unscrewing the metal bolt under the bowl what type of pliers do you recommend ?

Don't go mad when tightening everything. Get everything reasonably tight, at least half a turn past hand tight, then turn the water on and check for leaks. Then if necessary tighten more. The worst thing you can do is to over tighten to the point of no return as this will cause leaks.

Thanks all I bought the fluid master for £10 and installed it successfully the only issue is that when I swipe through with my fingers at the bottom I feel water but I don't see drops falling is this due to the coldness of the water ?

it might possibly be condensation. If so, it will be visible on the front and sides of the cistern. If it is only visible on the bottom, and on the stem and nut of the valve, it is a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back