Toilet valve query and electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a couple of things I have at the mo that i'd appreciate help on pleeease..

What's the point/function a solenoid valve does/has on an electric shower? Is it to allow water to flow through the unit when energised like when the cord is pulled? I thought the control dial when turned allowed water through the unit, so what's the point of the Solenoid?

Anyway apart from that, I have a slight problem with my toilet. Water is constantly running (only slowly but it must add up) into the pan. I have an integral overflow, no pipe to the outside. It's the push button type. In my local DIY shop I have seen a push button "drop valve" that has 2 size outlets, 1 1/2" outlet and 2" outlet (but i believe I have a normal size toilet and that would be the 1 1/2" size).

Anyway my point/query is, this valve is of the tube type, the tube connecting to the push button(s). Will this be ok to fit in my existing cistern as the current one does not have a tube. SO is a slightly different design/make..

Sponsored Links
solenoid valve isolates the water from the shower the control valve only adjusts the flow.

check the rubber on the bottom of the flush valve, by seperating the flush valve from the bottom part you can check the seal.
hold the flush valve half way down and twist it will come apart.

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I have just looked inside the cistern and the rubber seems a bit old and tatty. The valve seems quite flimsy and I am scared I snap it!
Can you just buy a new seal then or is a whole new valve the case, and will the valve with the tube be ok to work in my cistern, i believe they are both the same size 1 1/2" outlets.

Sponsored Links
you can buy a new seal if you know the make of the valve etc.
some are Pneumatic and some are cable or direct push button operation.

measure the height of yours to make sure it will fit.
most are interchangable.

example this is a common one used to replace old valves.

http://www.opella.co.uk/Torbeck_variflush.htm

Thanks for your help and advice it's really good of you helping me and I really appreciate it.

Reading through posts on here I have gathered that a screwfix valve had a design fault ! Which didn't shut off properley!! But I will take your advice, measure the height to make sure it fits the my cistern, and then buy one.

the one sold by screwfix is the opella and i've never had one let me down.

some people have problems with the simplest of tasks.
if they where no good they wouldn't sell them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back