TOILET WASTE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Downstairs toilet earthenware waste is too far (240mm back wall to centre of pipe) from back wall to permit good choice of replacement pan/cistern. I need a dim of 700mm max from the back wall to the front edge of the pan. So I want to move it back close the wall. What would you suggest I do ? Concrete floor by the way.
Gerry

Sponsored Links
I'd been hunting round for a while with same issue. 1950s building with centre of waste pipe in concrete floor 240mm from wall. Many toilets were going to be pushed too far away from the wall.

I looked round at all the toilets I could see in the flesh and measured the distance between the pan spigot and where the wall would be. This varied a large amount and those with the rearmost projecting spigots would be totally unsuitable.

I ended up buying a Mytime short projection toilet from Bathstore as it was the perfect dimension.... and it looks really neat in a cloakroom situation.

I'm actually dry lining the wall behind the toilet as part of this work and the extra 40mm of the battens/plasterboard bring the toilet into the correct position using a standard P outlet on the pan spigot.

As you will not be gaining the thickness of the dry lining work a swan neck waste outlet will enable you to push the toilet back the extra 40mm so the cistern touches the wall.

You could also use a P outlet with flexy downtube but I don't like them so much.

Hope that helps.

I'd read that link when I was first trying to sort this out and the info is good apart from the point it doesn't mention the different pan spigot positions of different toilets. If you buy a toilet without checking this even a swan neck or flexy waste outlet may still leave the toilet away from the wall needing some boxing in behind whereas the right dimension toilet will fit right back to the wall OK.

BTW the toilet I chose was called a Mytime short projection not because of the spigot position but because its overall projection into the room is small at 650mm.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your advice - BUT I think I am going to have to move the waste pipe closer to the back wall. I guess there are 2 possible approaches.
1. Dig around the exposed collar and go down maybe a foot, cut it off and insert a plastic pipe that is flexible enough that I can position the floor surface end 240mm nearer the back wall. What do you think ?
OR/
2. Go outside, dig up the concrete path (which is going to happen anyway),
- what will I find and at what depth - thats my worry ?? But I guess I could disc cut the clay pipe and do whatever is necessary to remove the section that enters the house to the pan - Yes? Then fit new plastic ? or clay ? to achieve the desired position for the toilet.
Any advice would be most welcome especially about what can go wrong!!
Thanks in advance,
Sleepless

I wonder why you can't make the dimensions... have you chosen a toilet with a pan spigot that comes too far back?

I wonder how old your house is? Our 1930s (I think) clay drains are very brittle and damaging ours outside where the toilet is located, within a couple of feet from the boundary from next door where the shared drains run, was unthinkable. So it was worth me doing anything to keep the existing collar in the floor.

If you have to I guess you could dig up just where the toilet pipe enters the building underground and connect a new through wall above ground horizontal waste then any toilet would fit OK.

- what will I find and at what depth - thats my worry ?? Sleepless
look in the nearest manhole . that will give you a guide to depth :idea: and let us know where it is in relation to your WC and if it`s in the path that`s to be dug up

- what will I find and at what depth - thats my worry ?? Sleepless
look in the nearest manhole . that will give you a guide to depth :idea: and let us know where it is in relation to your WC and if it`s in the path that`s to be dug up

Thanks for the info. The manhole is about 5ft from the house ie, 6ft from the vertical waste pipe inside the house. It is runs underneath the concrete path which is to be dug up.
Gerry

I wonder why you can't make the dimensions... have you chosen a toilet with a pan spigot that comes too far back?

I wonder how old your house is? Our 1930s (I think) clay drains are very brittle and damaging ours outside where the toilet is located, within a couple of feet from the boundary from next door where the shared drains run, was unthinkable. So it was worth me doing anything to keep the existing collar in the floor.

If you have to I guess you could dig up just where the toilet pipe enters the building underground and connect a new through wall above ground horizontal waste then any toilet would fit OK.

To answer your questions - I haven't found a toilet pan yet that will fit because usually the foot is too large and effectively moves the pan forward away from the waste collar in the floor. The pan then clashes with the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back