Too much Fernox?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Folks,

I drained and re-filled my central heating a few days ago, adding a litre of Fernox F3. (150 litre boiler so 2 x 500ml bottles of Fernox).

Due to a deflated expansion vessel, we’d been refilling via the filling loop on an almost daily basis for a long time so the system has only had water in it for ages with no inhibitor - not good! EV has been recharged now so pressure is stable.

Anyway - the system has been running absolutely fine for the last few days and I’ve signed up for an ongoing care plan with Baxi. However, they can’t come out to service the boiler for about five weeks. (I suspect it hasn’t been serviced in years).

I was planning to drain out the F3 and flush the entire system one more time with just water before a final drain and then refill adding one litre of Fernox F1 inhibitor.

I had hoped to do this a couple of days before the service (foolishly assuming they would come out within about a week or so). As it’s going to take five or six weeks, I’m wondering whether this is now going to be too long.

I’ve read differing opinions on how long F3 can stay in the system.

The bottle’s label (which common sense tells me is the one to pay most attention to) says up to one week for heavily sludged systems.

I have no real way of telling whether or not the system is heavily sludged, given its lack of maintenance over the years. All of the radiators very warm from top-to-bottom, so I suspect not.

A local plumber / heating engineer told me to leave it in for ’a few weeks’, one or two people online say ‘indefinitely’ (although I wouldn’t leave it in permanently).

Given that the system probably hasn’t been flushed or serviced in years, is 6 weeks likely to be too long? We live in a 'very hard' water area.

(11 radiators of varying sizes which have all been plumbed using 10mm plastic (barrier?) pipe).

Cheers.

Alex

Sponsored Links
It should be flushed out after a max of one week, as per the manufacturers' instructions. If your radiators are all warm from top to bottom, it's time to start flushing it out

OK,

Drained all of the radiators last night via a hosepipe attached to the kitchen rad TRV and out into an external drain (no drain cock on any rad in the house). Collected some in a tub and plenty of very fine black sludge coming out this time (which is not what I saw last week when I drained) so the F3 has clearly done its stuff.

I filled the system up with just water this time and will drain it all out again once more tonight and refill with water adding one litre of Fernox F1. I put the heating on for an hour last night and again this morning.

However, the kitchen rad that I drained from is now no longer getting hot. It's stone cold. The flow pipe got warm for a while but then stopped. I know I opened the lockshield valve the same number of turns so it's not that. TRV pin seems fine. All other rads are super-hot.

I'm guessing that either:

• As it was used as the system 'drain' point, all of the sludge in the house has accumulated down there and caused a blockage.
  • It might be an airlock.
(It's 10mm barrier pipe which I've read is more prone to blockage).

I've seen a good YouTube video on how to move airlocks so will try that first. However, if that doesn't work, as I'm draining via the same rad and hose pipe tonight, can I just use the filler loop to flush it? (i.e leave the hosepipe attached to the kitchen rad valve and flush for a while straight into the drain). Not sure how effective that would be so thought I'd ask. I guess I'll need to do both valves as I'm not sure which side the blockage will be. I'll take the kitchen rad into the garden and flush it through with a hose too.

Failing that, I'll try and close all of the other TRV and lockshield valves in the house and see if I can 'force' it through.

Otherwise I reckon I'm looking at a power flush, aren't I?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers.

Alex

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back