Torbeck Toilet Valve - Problem

RJR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In mid December 2009 I fitted a new side entry Torbeck valve to our toilet cistern to replace one which was giving problems. It worked fine until 1 May 2010 when without warning it did not shut off the water supply. Water escaped from the cistern causing quite a bit of damage. The problem was that the float arm did not rise as the cistern filled up (at least 4 times) although there was no obstruction in the cistern. I employed a plumber to inspect the valve and fit a new one, in case I had installed the original incorrectly. My installation was fine and the plumber found nothing wrong, visually, with the valve. he had expected to find some grit or something interfering with the diaphragm. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Sponsored Links
...The problem was that the float arm did not rise as the cistern filled up (at least 4 times) although there was no obstruction in the cistern. ...
the float didn't float? Pivot jammed? presumably the float is full of air, and not punctured?

Or did the shaft coming out of the top of the float turn in the slot of the arm so it did not push the arm up?

I have only known them dribble if they get grit or limescale in them, but that doesn't stop the arm rising as you say, and the overflow should easily be able to cope with the inflow. Is something wrong with your overflow, as you say there was damage?

...The problem was that the float arm did not rise as the cistern filled up (at least 4 times) although there was no obstruction in the cistern. ...
the float didn't float? Pivot jammed? presumably the float is full of air, and not punctured?

Or did the shaft coming out of the top of the float turn in the slot of the arm so it did not push the arm up?

I have only known them dribble if they get grit or limescale in them, but that doesn't stop the arm rising as you say, and the overflow should easily be able to cope with the inflow. Is something wrong with your overflow, as you say there was damage?

The float was not full of air as the Torbeck floats are now open at the bottom (old one which I replaced was a sealed float!). I cannot say if pivot was jammed. The shaft remained in its usual position. The external overflow coped with about 98 percent of the water entering the cistern but the remaining 2 percent leaked out of an unused cistern fixing (to wall) point. The leak occurred for at least 8.5 hours overnight before discovery in the morning!

Sponsored Links
Then I reckon the pivot must have jammed. If it was still there you could have tried jiggling it.

It is "waxy" plastic so not prone to limescale, I wonder what else could have caused it.

I suppose the open float did keep plenty of air in it?

do you have children in the house?

Then I reckon the pivot must have jammed. If it was still there you could have tried jiggling it.

It is "waxy" plastic so not prone to limescale, I wonder what else could have caused it.

I suppose the open float did keep plenty of air in it?

do you have children in the house?

No children in the house. I cannot say if the float had air in it at the time it failed - was more concerned at the time to start clearing up and keeping damage to a minimum!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back