Totals in MSWord (97) Tables

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I think that, when I have numeric values in a column in a Word table, I can make a total by inserting the formula

{ = SUM(ABOVE) }

in the cell at the bottom of the column

I have just done this, but it is displaying { = SUM(ABOVE) } and not the total value.

Am I doing it right, and how do I make it display the total?

Also, how do I make it recalculate the table if I change the numbers in any of the cells above?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Thanks v much

have done it now
using
"1.Position the insertion point in the cell you want to contain the total. Typically, this is the bottom cell in a column of numbers.
2.Click on the AutoSum tool on the Tables and Borders toolbar."

and select and F9 to update the sum

do you know where I should look for the "Number Format drop-down list" as they are monetary values?

Sponsored Links
Might be in here
http://www.baycongroup.com/word2003/word07.htm
-----------
Perform Calculations
Although Word tables are primarily for displaying textual information, they can also function as basic spreadsheets. To add or subtract numbers in a table, select the rows or columns to be calculated and click the AutoSum button on the Tables and Borders toolbar. The result will show up in the next cell down (in a column) or the next cell over (in a row).

If you want to perform other calculations, you have to enter a formula. To do this, click the cell where you want the result to display, then go to the Table menu and choose Formula. A dialog box will appear. Go to the Paste function drop-down menu and choose the formula you want to apply to a particular cell. For example, if you want to multiply the numbers in a column, choose Product. The formula will appear in the Formula text field. In the brackets, type above. If you want to add the numbers in a row, select Sum and type left in the brackets. You can also type below and right, or reference cell addresses or ranges (if you use any spreadsheet, you know how these work). If you want the result displayed in a special format, like a percentage or with a dollar sign, choose a format from the Number format menu. Click OK and the result will appear in your table

Back